Friday, April 16, 2010

Key project finished

So I finished the key project. I still had to sand with my handy palm sander...
Then I got out our new brad nailer. I have had this for several years and never used it. I usually choose a finish nailer but for this small project the brad nailer is perfect.
I just nailed all the frame pieces and the base piece all together. Oh and I did use a little wood glue, that never hurts.
Then I went for my can of white spray paint. There was none. I had to do it the old fashioned way, with a paint brush and paint.
It took longer but that is okay. I did two coats and let them dry really well.
Then I sanded it all on the edges and just ruffed it up again, with my palm sander of course. To antique it I used Special Walnut stain and a old sock. Wipe on and wipe off. Kinda like Wax on, Wax off. Ha
I love how the stain makes them look, "old".
Then I used E6000 glue to glue the keys on.
I hope it works, I have to let them dry 24 hours before I can hang them so I'll let you know if they fall off. Hope not! The ones I saw in Rod Works were wired on, but I didn't like seeing the wire so we will see about the glue.

I just love how they turned out. I am so excited to hang them. I think I will just put a sawtooth hanger on the back of each one. I'll show you how they look on the wall soon as I can.


I will be linking to:
.
DIY Day @ ASPTL

7 comments:

Post a Comment