Friday, August 27, 2010

Laundry room show & tell

A few weeks ago I did a post on laundry organizing. I had some people ask me some questions about my laundry room. So even though I am thinking of redoing my laundry in the near future, I thought I would show you the things that really work in there.
A few years back I realized there was a huge problem with shoes in my laundry/mudroom. Everyone came in that door (off the garage) and kicked off shoes until there was a huge mountain of shoes and it became difficult to get in the door.
I found a solution that I have loved ever since. I bought some MDF board and went to work. Since there are five people in our family I made 5 shoe slots, spots, or bins whatever you want to call them.
I put a board on the top for a bench to sit and put shoes on or take them off. Above I put the coat hangers. This has really worked. Everyone has their own slot and just kicks their shoes off into their slot. I put some batting and material on the top of the bench and just hot glued the ruffle on to finish it off. I then needed a place to craft and also to fold clothes. So I built this folding table that flips back when not in use. It is attached to the bench and the wall.
Here it is folded out.
I use this to fold clothes, crafts, and scrapbooking. I just put a 1x2 board on the wall to hold the table up when it is folded out, like this.
Underneath the table I keep all my scrapbooking supplies.
I also needed a place for the ironing board. I don't iron very much, actually very little. I hate to have to drag a big ironing board out somewhere and then put it back whenever I use it. So I bought one of those ironing boards that are suppose to hang on the back of your door. You know what I mean, right? Looks like this.
I built a box around it and hung it on the wall. Now I have one of those great built in ironing boards that cost alot but mine was cheap. I know the blue pad doesn't match but it really doesn't matter because it is never out. Ha!
I put a door made from 1/2 inch thick MDF board and painted it the color of the wall so it doesn't stand out.
So I hope that answered some questions. These things have really been useful in there and were not hard to do. I am wanting to maybe paint in there and do a little update. I really hate the cabinets in there and hope to do a makeover on the doors soon. Until then I guess I will go do some laundry. UGH!


14 comments:

Post a Comment